Eating disorder can manifest itself in a number of different forms with one thing common among these manifestations in the form of harm they wreck on people suffering from these conditions. Thus, it becomes imperative to diagnose if any person is suffering from any type of eating disorder to be able to take steps to counter this condition and guide that person towards a better eating habit. Given are some of the most common types of eating disorder that people suffer from including their symptoms.
- Anorexia Nervosa is an eating disorder that has gained notoriety in the recent years due to its occurrence among fashion models and teenage people trying to gain a size zero figures. Even though this disease can affect people irrespective of age and gender, it is much more common in young girls in their teenage or early twenties. The patients suffering form this condition has intense fear of gaining weight and consequently result in malnutrition and underdevelopment over a defined period. Ultimately, people can die from lack of food if counseling and treatments are not available on time.
- Bulimia Nervosa is another type of eating disorder where the sufferers alternatively go binge and purge over a course of weeks and months. People suffering from this condition have a tendency to go on a binge eating bout and follows it with compensatory activities in the form of over exercise and fasting to purge them of their guilt feeling. This extreme behavior occurring in cycles can have devastating effects on mind and body of those suffering from this condition.
- Binge eating is a common eating disorder where people go on eating excessive amount of food till they start feeling uncomfortable or a pang of guilt because of overeating. However, this condition does not involve any compensatory activities after over consumption of food, which means that people suffering from binge eating are usually obese or overweight because of taking in so much excess calories.
- Anorexia Athletica is a behavior disorder, which does not find any formal place in the standard diagnostic manuals for mental health. However, it presents itself as a serious eating disorder among people suffering from this condition who tend to take extremely low amount of food in addition to exercising excessively. Thus, it results in malnutrition and associated health problems.
- EDNOS or Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified is a special category of eating disorders where it is not possible to categorize the patients into any specific group meant for a particular disease. However, failure to diagnose under any specific disease does not mean that these conditions pose any less threat to the wellbeing of the people suffering from them. Therefore, early diagnosis and treatment is important in curing these conditions just like any other eating disorder.
These are the main types of eating disorders to affect people and cause havoc to their wellbeing.
Eating Disorders Foundation Inc Store Forum Home Eating Disorders Support Links Latest Entries Archives Flickr photos Dear Friends, Supporters, Sponsors and Members, After servicing the NSW community since 1991 the Eating Disorders Foundation services have closed. Thank you to each of you for the support, encouragement and inspiration you have provided to us. A particular thank you to the EDF staff and volunteers for their committed contribution to establishing and maintaining quality services